Friday, January 10, 2014

Joanne's Mixed Media Canvas using GELATOS !

My DT Project for January using Gelatos !

This has to be one of the best products on the market at the moment - just loved them ! 

As this was my first time working with Gelatos by Design Memory Craft (Faber Castell) I spent a few nights looking up You Tube figuring out exactly how best to use them !  And thankfully there is tons of information on their use and so I tried to put into practice as many techniques I could for this project.

First of all I covered a canvas in Gesso.  The big word with gelatos I discovered is RESISTANCE !  


The next step was to rub the gelatos onto the top of the canvas - spray water over them and because the Gesso offers resistance - the gelatos simply dilute and pour down the canvas beautifully - rather than absorbing into it and appearing like blobs of colour. I sprinkled it with salt to give it more dimension and texture.  (If you want to see the difference of using and not using Gesso - check out Donna Downey's videos on them over on You Tube).


Next I found old thick canvas that I had lying around - cut out three feathers and five circles and covered them in Gesso.  I sewed onto them to give them more depth and texture. Then I layered them with different coloured gelatos, sprayed them with water  and blended the colours together with my fingers. Great fun !


Then I added more gelatos to my background so the that my feathers and circles would blend in before sticking them onto the canvas.  I drew in a series of circles with a graphite pencil and sewed a few crosses onto them.  (Don't forget to distress the sides of the circles and feathers in black ink - so that they pop off the canvas).   I then added in some clear epoxy dots to again give it more interest. 



Next I added in the word CHANGE (using Bottle Cap Alphabet mini's) - which is my word for the year.  And added in the description - 'a chance to make a change' in small letters. 



And finally here is the finished project !  And I can't get over how stunning the colours are - they seem to jump out at you !



Materials Used :

Gelatos Green and Tropical Sets - Design Memory Craft (Faber Castell);
Archival Black Ink - Ranger;
Bottle Cap Alphabet Mini's -
Cosmo Cricket - mini letters;
Vintage Collection Epoxy Dots;
Gesso;
Heavy Cream Canvas;
Canvas - 12 " x 18";
Black thread with sewing machine;


Hope you enjoyed this project - as much as I did making it !

Many thanks for looking !

Joanne x


1 comment: